Parents/Guardians have the responsibility of supervision of their child until the child boards the bus in the morning and after the child leaves the bus at the end of the school day. Parents/Guardians must understand students are under the jurisdiction of the school while going to and from school.
In view of the fact that a bus is an extension of the classroom, the East Porter County School Corporation shall require children to conduct themselves on the bus and at the bus stop in a manner consistent with the established standards for classroom behavior. In cases where children do not conduct themselves properly on the bus, such instances are to be brought to the attention of the building principal by the bus driver. Children who become a serious discipline problem on the school bus may have riding privileges suspended by the driver or principal. In such cases, the parents/guardians of the child involved become responsible for the safe transportation of the child to and from school.
If, in an emergency, a student is to ride a different bus or walk to a destination after school, a note is required from the parent to the principal explaining the emergency in advance. If permission is granted, the principal will issue a temporary student bus pass which must be presented to the bus driver upon entering the bus. The principal has final authority to decide whether or not circumstances are of an emergency nature.
School bus drivers are to have control of all school children conveyed by bus. The drivers shall: keep order, maintain discipline among the children on the bus, treat all children in a civil manner, see that no child is imposed upon or mistreated while in his/her charge, and use every care for safety of the children under their charge. School bus drivers shall assure that the following regulations are observed by all passengers.
- Each student shall be seated immediately upon entering the bus, and in some cases, in a seat assigned by the driver.
- No student shall stand or move from place to place during the trip.
- Loud or profane language or indecent conduct shall not be tolerated.
- Students shall not be allowed to tease, scuffle, trip, hold, hit, or use their hands, feet, or body in any objectionable manner.
- No students shall enter or leave the bus until it has come to a full stop and the door has been opened by the driver.
- All students are required to wait 20-30 feet from the edge of the road until the bus comes to a complete stop. Students who must cross a road to board the bus must:
- wait until the bus has come to a complete stop;
- wait for the driver to signal to cross the road;
- walk at least 10 feet in front of the bus while crossing the road.
- Students should be waiting at their designated boarding stations when the school bus arrives. Generally, buses will run very close to the same time each day. Bus drivers need to be reasonable about waiting at a bus stop but need not wait an extended length of time.
- Students are required to ride the bus to which they are assigned. Space permitting, a change of buses in an emergency will be allowed only by a temporary student bus pass issued from the principal.
- Students causing discipline problems may face suspension from the bus and/or school.
- No eating or drinking will be allowed on the bus, except during extra-curricular trips.
- No medication, except authorized inhalers and Epi-pens, will be allowed to be transported to or from school by students riding on East Porter buses. Parents are responsible for transporting medication to and from school.
- No animals may be transported to or from school by bus.
- Large items, projects, dangling key chains or items that could be harmful to others or damage property, are not allowed on the bus. Band instruments may only be transported on the school bus if there is sufficient room. The aisle must be kept clear at all times.
- Water balloons, eggs, shaving cream, laser pointers, squirt guns, sleds, skates, skateboards, roller blades will not be allowed on school property. Any such item brought to school or taken on the bus will be confiscated and turned into the school office.
Early and Late Bus Rules
The term early and late bus refers to those buses which make a second route before or after school. Students riding these buses are to meet in the cafeteria, gymnasium, or hall where supervision will be provided. This time is an extension of the school day, and therefore, school rules and policies apply. The following guidelines will also be observed.
- Students are to be in the designated area immediately after exiting the bus in the morning and at the end of the day.
- Students should bring all necessary articles, such as books, coats, etc.
- The late bus supervisor will dismiss students.